Flavour of the Month: Super Green Superpower Spaghetti
Nutrition expert Jess has concocted the perfect lunch, giving you a chance to impress your friends with the greenest dish they will ever consume. It’s packed with cavalo nero, a leafy green veg that is similar to kale, but slightly sweeter and more tender, and a great source of vitamins and folic acid. Combine this with caramelised garlic and ricotta for a delicious, nourishing spaghetti sauce. Pasta makes a great midday meal, being a complex carbohydrate, meaning it slowly releases energy to help you power through the afternoon.
Super Green Spaghetti Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Equipment: Blender or food processor, large saucepan, frying pan
Suitable for vegetarians.
For a vegan option, replace the parmesan and ricotta for dairy-free substitutes.
4 cloves of garlic
200g cavolo nero – remove tough stalks & rinse leaves
2 tablespoon pine nuts
30g ricotta cheese
Salt and pepper
- Roast 4 cloves of garlic, skin on, with a drizzle of olive oil, in the oven at 180°C for 20 minutes, or until soft. (Another good way to tell it is cooked is that your kitchen will begin to smell amazing!)
- While this is roasting, dry fry the pine nuts in a frying pan until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, cook the spaghetti according to instructions, adding the cavolo nero for the final 5 minutes. Alternatively, use a steamer if you have one.
- Carefully remove the cavolo nero from the pasta water. Place the cavalo nero, parmesan and peeled roasted garlic into a high power blender. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta, then stir in the sauce and ricotta.
- Serve up and garnish with pine nuts, and additional ricotta cheese to taste.
More pasta recipes:
Find out more:
Find out how food can affect our physical AND mental wellbeing