Prepare to Move


Things to Do Before You Move

Whether you’re moving for the first time or moving between properties there’s a whole raft of people to contact, including utilities and service providers. Doing this in advance can save money and hassle, because it costs more to reconnect services than to simply transfer an account. Also some services require a few days’ notice to activate (e.g. telephone landline), so it’s better to let them know your requirements before you move in.
Use our Moving Checklist to ensure you don’t overlook anyone.

Change of Address Notification

Certain organisations require a specific procedure, but it’s useful to prepare a standard letter or email to inform the others.

You may prefer to use a free online change of address service, where you can compile a database of your providers, and set up or switch utilities for your new home.

Landlord or Letting Agent

Make sure you have the necessary documents and information by the time you move in:

Contact details of the landlord/agency who is managing the property, including a 24/7 number for emergencies.

Copies of the Tenancy Agreement, Tenancy Deposit Certificate and Inventory check-in report (which will be drawn up on the day you move in).

Copies of the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) annual Gas Safety Certificate and records of any electrical inspections.

Keep records of all correspondence, including phone calls.

Check which service providers/utilities have been notified about the new tenancy and request that services are transferred not disconnected.

Find out the location of the fuse box, stopcock and meters.  Better to know now, than try to find them in an emergency!

Ask to be shown how to work the boiler, heating, hot water systems and alarm.

Instructions for appliances should be left in the property – check.



Transfer or take out a contents insurance policy, to protect your belongings against risks such as flood, fire, damage and theft.  Make sure you are covered from the day you move in. Tenants should arrange individual contents insurance policies.

Home Contents Insurance – Money Saving Expert

Your landlord should cover buildings insurance, but do check.  (Buildings insurance covers the structure of the home itself and its permanent fixtures and fittings, but not the contents).

If you are using a removals firm, check that your belongings are covered by their insurance, whilst in their possession.
Removal van with stuff falling out


If you are moving from a different property and starting a new tenancy agreement, don’t forget to get your previous deposit back. You should usually receive your deposit back within 10 days of your tenancy ending (if there is no damage to the property).

How Long Does a Landlord Have to Return a Deposit?



Payment of Bills

For regular bills like rent, council tax, utilities and services, it is a good idea to set up payments by Direct Debit (for variable amounts) or Standing Order (for fixed amounts), to ensure bills are automatically paid on time and you avoid late payment charges.

How to Set up Direct Debits & Standing Orders – Money Advice Service


In a joint tenancy, set up shared bills in joint names of all tenants, and arrange a system amongst yourselves to ensure you all put aside sufficient funds to cover the payments.
Teal pig who pays what (white background) cropped


Set up a Standing Order so your landlord/agent is automatically paid on time, and you avoid falling into rent arrears and incurring extra charges.  It is best for tenants to do this on an individual basis.

Council Tax

Before you move, visit your local authority website and complete the online form to notify them of your new circumstances. This should ensure you are not charged after you move from your old home, and you pay the correct rate for your new property.  You can also set up a Direct Debit to pay monthly installments.

Working out Your Council Tax – GOV.UK
Check the tax band & amount.
Find out whether you qualify for 
a discount (e.g. if any of the tenants is a full-time student)
a reduction (if you are on a low income or claiming benefits)


Utilities – Electricity, Gas, Water

It is normal practice for the landlord/agent to transfer utilities to the new tenants’ names, but do check.

It is generally the tenants’ responsibility to get meter readings and notify the companies when they are moving out.

On the day of your move, check all meters have been read and the suppliers have been notified – you don’t want to be paying for the previous tenant’s bills!  Keep a record of meter readings, just in case of a dispute.

How to Read Your Electricity & Gas Meters – Citizens Advice

How to Locate & Read Your Water Meter – Veolia Water

5Household bills - washing (cropped)

As a tenant, can you change your energy providers?


Electricity & Gas

🙂    Yes – if you are responsible for paying your energy bills directly.  But you should definitely notify your landlord/agent as a matter of courtesy;  your tenancy agreement may actually require you to let them know if you switch energy supplier.

🙁    No – If the bills are paid through your landlord/agency, you don’t have the right to switch; but you could still make a request if you find a better deal.

Should You Switch Energy Suppliers? – Money Advice Service
Ways to save on energy bills,  how to check if you’re getting a good deal, how to switch, and whether to fix your energy tariff

Tenants Guide To Switching Energy Providers – Uswitch



🙁    No – unlike other utilities, you can’t choose your water provider.  You just need to find out who is your supplier, in order to set up payments.

Moving home links:

The Electricity Guide

The Gas Guide

British Gas

Water Guide


Comparison websites – utilities:

Energy Helpline

Money Saving Expert

Money Supermarket


Which? Switch


Telephone & Broadband

If there is a working landline at your new address (usually BT), request that it is stopped, not cut when existing tenants move out, to avoid a reconnection fee.
If you need a new line installed, order in good time as it can take a couple of weeks.

Moving Home – BT

Home Phone Deals – Money Saving Expert

Set up new contracts in advance with phone/broadband/internet providers, so you have uninterrupted service from the day you move in. Check out the best deals in your area.  If you are a heavy Internet user, it might be worth enquiring about the speed and download limit, as well as charges.

If you would prefer to stay with your current provider, call to advise them of your new details; you might be able to negotiate a better deal and transfer your service, including your old landline number (if your tenancy agreement allows), or set up a redirection service to your new number.

Phone & Broadband – Money Advice Service
How to find the best package, how to switch, & ways to reduce your landline & broadband bills

Moving House Checklist for Broadband – uSwitch


Moving home links:






Virgin Media

3 Mobile

EE/Orange/T Mobile




Comparison websites – broadband:

Broadband Choices

Broadband Genie


Compare Broadband Deals – Money Supermarket

Broadband – Money Saving Expert



You can buy or transfer your TV Licence online;  you usually need only one licence per household.

Check if you need a TV licence

Notify your cable/satellite TV provider if you want to transfer your existing service.
You may also want to check options for digital TV at your new property.

Moving home links:

BT – TV Packages



Virgin Media


Comparison websites – TV:

Cable TV Packages

Digital TV Deals – Money Saving Expert

TV Packages – uSwitch



If you need to apply for a parking permit, you will have to register for Council Tax first.

Contact the DVLA to change the address on your driving licence.

Notify car breakdown cover e.g. AA or RAC, particularly if it includes a ‘home start’ service
Grad car breakdown-cropped


Register with a local doctor, dentist and any other healthcare services you require.


Remember to notify your bank or building society, credit card company, HMRC, Student Loan Company and any other financial services.

House man holding key (white background)

Locks & Keys

Landlords do not legally have to change the locks following each tenancy (even if they haven’t managed to get all the keys back from previous tenants).

If you want to change the locks or have extra keys cut, first check your tenancy agreement, which may specify responsibilities in respect of locks and keys;  even if you do not need permission from your landlord, it would be advisable to ask.
Make sure you provide them with a new key to the property.

Postal Services

Redirect your mail well in advance, to ensure you don’t miss any important post and to protect yourself against identity fraud (to prevent personal information falling into the wrong hands).

Important Others

Tell any regular suppliers, subscriptions, retail accounts, gym memberships etc.
And friends and family of course!
Moving Van


If you need a removal firm, use a reputable company.  Get personal recommendations, or look at the British Association of Removers, who operate under a strict code of conduct.

Check that your belongings are covered by their insurance, whilst in their possession.

Save costs by packing as much as possible yourself.

Moving Checklist

We have collated the most important things to consider before moving into this checklist for you…

Moving Checklist

Help on Housing right arrow