Flavour of the Month: Prawn Pesto Pasta
Jess, our HelloGrads nutritionist presents a perfect plate to combat the post lunch-time lull: Prawn Pesto Pasta – a super-filling meal to be enjoyed at home, on the go or with friends and family.
Most of us know that afternoon slump where we’re struggling to stay alert and awake; well, it could have something to do with what we ate for lunch, for example a heavy dose of carbs can cause our blood sugar to spike and crash, leaving us feeling sluggish and cranky soon after. A well-balanced midday meal can be key to avoiding fatigue and maintaining energy levels. Try this quick and easy recipe, packed with a healthy balance of carbohydrate, protein and fat, which will leave you feeling satisfied and full for a long period of time.
Prawn Pesto Pasta Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
165g king prawns
160g wholewheat pasta e.g. fusilli or penne
30g cherry tomatoes
30g basil leaves
20g pine nuts
1 medium avocado
1 lemon, juiced
2 tsp garlic granules
½ tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
½ red chilli, seeds removed
1 x spring onion
1 tbsp parmesan cheese (or use nutritional yeast)
- Boil the pasta with a pinch of salt for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and add the prawns.
- Fry on a medium heat for 2 minutes, then add in the chilli, spring onion, garlic and butter; continue to fry for a further 5 minutes, or until prawns are cooked, then put to one side.
- In a food processor, add the avocado, pine nuts, basil, garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and parmesan/nutritional yeast.
Blend and pulse the pesto mixture until smooth.
- Drain pasta and combine with pesto, spinach and cherry tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper, top with parmesan/nutritional yeast and enjoy!
Find out more:
Discover how a nutritious diet helps both physical and mental wellbeing, keeping us happy, alert & energised