Flavour of the Month: Miso Soup
For November’s Veg Pledge to raise money for Cancer Research UK, rustle up this super-quick miso soup. It’s vegetarian, vegan friendly and delicious. A wonderfully warming bowl for cold wintery days.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
800ml vegetable stock
4 tbsp miso paste
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp ginger
300g mixed mushrooms
4 spring onions
1 pak choi
100g firm tofu
100g dried soba noodles
Chilli flakes or chilli oil (optional)
- Make the vegetable stock and pour into a large saucepan. Add the miso paste, heating gently and stirring until the miso paste has dissolved.
- Meanwhile, chop the spring onions diagonally, slice the mushrooms, prepare the pak choi, grate or peel the carrots and crush the garlic.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the pan.
- Add a dash of soy sauce and salt to taste.
- Add the spring onions, mushrooms and pak choi and simmer for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the chilli flakes or oil if desired.
- Fry the tofu (follow instructions on the packet).
- Cook the noodles (as per the instructions on the pack).
- Add the tofu and noodles to the miso soup. Serve and enjoy!
Find out more:
Veg Pledge for Cancer Research UK
Take on the challenge & go vegetarian or vegan for one month to raise money for life-saving cancer research.
How to go vegan
Tips on following a plant-based diet
More veggie recipes: