Flavour of the Month – Pesto & Cous Cous Stuffed Aubergine
This month’s recipe is from our newest HelloGrads team member… Jess 👋 a nutrition student studying at Bournemouth Uni.
Jess has joined us as an intern this summer and will be helping us with all sorts of content – particularly using her skills in photography 📸 and video editing 🎥
Here’s her first contribution for our monthly fresh & seasonal recipes…
What’s in season in June?
Apricots, Blueberries, Cherries, Kiwi, Raspberries, Strawberries, Tomatoes
Artichokes, Aubergines, Broad Beans, Carrots, Courgettes, Fennel, New potatoes, Pak choi, Peas, Peppers, Rocket, Spinach, Spring onions, Turnips, Watercress
Crab, Haddock, Mackerel, Pollock, Salmon, Sardines, Tuna
This stuffed aubergine recipe is perfect for the summer, using seasonal and delicious veggies 🍆. It makes an easy healthy meal for one, or a great addition to a BBQ with friends. It’s very adaptable, and can be designed to suit all. This version is vegan, but I’ve included some easy additions for non-vegans too!
If aubergine is not your favourite veg, it can be easily substituted for roasted peppers. And if you’re after a more protein rich meal (or a gluten free option), then simply swap cous cous for quinoa!
Pesto & Cous Cous Stuffed Aubergine
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Equipment: Food processor, Measuring jug
100ml vegetable stock
100ml cous cous (equal parts stock / cous cous)
½ an avocado
Handful of pine nuts
½ bag of basil leaves
Juice of ½ lemon
1tbs nutritional yeast
Pancetta or bacon lardons
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (fan)
- Cut aubergine in half, lengthways, and gently slice the skin in a criss-cross pattern. Drizzle in olive oil and cook for 30 minutes, or until the flesh is soft and golden brown.
- In the meantime make the cous-cous and pesto.
- To make the cous cous: Mix vegetable stock with 100ml of boiling water. Add equal part of cous cous into a bowl or measuring jug. Stir and then cover with a plate for 3 minutes, uncover to fluff with fork, and then cover again for 2 minutes.
- To make the pesto: Add avocado, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, pine nuts, olive oil, salt and pepper into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- After 30 minutes, remove the aubergine from the oven and scoop 75% of the flesh out with a spoon when it’s hot.
- Lather the inside of each aubergine half with a generous amount of pesto, top with cous cous and add left over pesto on top.
- Garnish with olive oil and / or lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste, or add some toasted pine nuts or sesame seeds for an added crunch!
Add some grated lemon zest if you would like more of a citrus taste.
Keep the leftover aubergine flesh and get creative with salads & soups.
If you’re hosting non-vegans, simply fry up some pancetta and sprinkle some shaved parmesan on top!