Flavour of the Month: Lemon & Chilli Chicken with Quinoa & Chickpeas
Our favourite nutritionist, Jess, has created a delicious Spring chicken dish. It’s quick and easy to make, and can be batch made to supply you with delicious lunches for the week. This wholesome, high protein dish will carry you through until your next meal, leaving you feeling fuller for longer. There’s plenty of scope to get creative and add more of your favourite toppings such as feta cheese, avocado, dried cranberries, hummus or other summery essentials. There’s also a vegan variation below.
Lemon & Chilli Chicken with Quinoa & Chickpeas Recipe
Cooking and prep time: 30 minutes
2 medium chicken breasts
80g tricolour quinoa
½ can chickpeas
1 carrot, sliced thinly
1 spring onion
½ handful of rocket
½ large handful of kale
½ lemon per serving
1tbsp olive oil
2tsp black sesame seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
1tbsp chilli and lemon chicken seasoning (or 3tbsp marinade*)
1tbsp per serving of turmeric dressing**
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Spread out the thinly sliced carrot and chickpeas in a baking tray. Drizzle over the seasoned olive oil. Cook for 10 minutes, until both are slightly crispy but soft.
- Whilst the carrots and chickpeas are cooking, simmer the quinoa on a medium heat for 10 minutes. Then set aside.
- Season the chicken with chilli and lemon seasoning, and grill on a medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Ensure it is thoroughly cooked through.
- Finely chop the spring onion and combine on a serving plate with the rocket and kale.
- Top with the quinoa, carrots and chickpeas, and serve the chicken on the side.
- Sprinkle over the black sesame seeds and add the turmeric dressing.
- Optional: Add a handful of cranberries and a dollop of hummus, or other toppings of your choice.
* Lemon Chilli Marinade
Instead of chilli & lemon seasoning, you can make your own marinade if you prefer.
It’s also delicious for BBQ or roast chicken.
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
1 tsp – 1 tbsp chilli powder (depending on how hot you like it)
Makes enough for 1 chicken.
Mix ingredients well, then spread over the chicken.
Ideally, marinate for a minimum of 2 hours (or better still overnight).
1tbsp coconut milk
½ tsp minced garlic
1tsp olive oil
½ tsp pink Himalayan salt
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp cayenne pepper
Mix ingredients well.
Double up quantities and store in the fridge if you would like to keep this dressing for other dishes through the week.
Double up the chickpea and carrot servings or swap the chicken for tofu.
More Spring & Summer recipes: