Flavour of the Month: Grilled Salmon with Herby Couscous & Broccoli
Power up with protein
Protein is an essential part of our diet, vital for growth, repair and general health. A protein-rich lunch helps keep us alert through the afternoon, feeling full and satisfied for longer (rather than a heavy dose of carbs, which can make us sluggish and hungry soon after). Inspired by British Food Fortnight, our resident nutritionist Jess, has whipped up a simple seasonal lunch recipe with Scottish salmon and English broccoli.
Superfood salmon is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins, and is a great source of lean protein. It is loaded with selenium, which assists with cognitive function, boosts the immune system and will help keep you healthy. Couscous is a good source of plant-based protein, also rich in selenium, plus it’s super easy to prepare!
Recipe: Grilled Salmon Fillet with Herby Couscous & Steamed Broccoli
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Shelf life: 2-3 days
1 salmon fillet
100ml boiling water
1 tsp vegetable stock
1 tbsp avocado oil/coconut oil
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Drizzle oil over the salmon fillet, and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice up the lemon and place on top of the fillet.
- Grill for 5-8 minutes, or until cooked through (it will go a pink-opaque colour when it is cooked).
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli for 3-4 minutes.
- Boil 100ml of water and mix with the vegetable stock in a measuring jug.
- Combine with 100ml couscous*, give it a good stir to mix in the vegetable stock and cover for 2 minutes with cling film.
- After 2 minutes, fluff up the couscous with a fork, give it another stir and cover again for a further 3 minutes.
This is a much easier and more time effective way to cook couscous. Recipes often recommend cooking it on the hob for around 45 minutes, but this takes 5 minutes maximum and gives it a very light, fluffy texture!
Find out more:
Discover how a nutritious diet helps not just physical wellbeing but mental health too, & can make us feel happy, alert & energised