Flavour of the Month: Easy Korma Sauce and Naan
This Veg Pledge month, we cooked up a creamy, flavoursome korma sauce, with a recipe adapted from Easy Peasy Foodie and my favourite simple four ingredient naan recipe from Veggie Desserts.
This korma sauce is delicious with chicken, but if you are going veggie for this meal, try the sauce with any vegetables you can get your hands on – carrots, potatoes and aubergine work well – or with a meat substitute.
For the korma sauce
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
30g ghee butter
1 chopped onion
1 tablespoon ginger
2 garlic cloves grated or crushed
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons garam masala
Salt and pepper to taste
400 ml tin coconut milk
3 tablespoons ground almonds
1 tablespoon coriander chopped (plus extra for garnish)
Choice of chicken, meat substitute or vegetables
1. Thinly chop to onions, garlic and coriander
2. Heat the ghee in a pan. Add the onions and cook until soft – approx. 5 minutes
3. Add the ginger, garlic together, turmeric and garam masala. Add a pinch of
salt. Turn down the heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the coconut milk (shake the tin before opening), bring to the boil and
then simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the ground almonds and coriander and cook for one more minute.
For the naan bread
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 6 flatbreads
250g plain flour
250g plain yoghurt
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Mix the ingredients together in a bowl, using your hands to bring it together into a ball. It should be slightly sticky, but add flour if necessary to make it manageable.
2. Split the dough into 6 equal pieces. Dust a rolling pin and work surface with flour. Roll each ball out to about 15cm in diameter and 0.5cm thickness3.
3. Heat a frying pan (without oil). Cook each naan bread for a few minutes on each side until the golden spots appear and it starts to puff up.
Serve alongside the korma sauce and rice.
More tasty veggie recipes: