Flavour of the Month: Creamy Tomato & Garlic Soup
Making your own velvety fresh tomato soup is so simple, and well worth the effort. Not only is it very tasty, but tomatoes are known to have many health benefits, including reducing the risk of heart disease and cancer, and boosting the immune system.
Suitable for vegetarians. For a vegan recipe, substitute the cream and cheese with non-dairy alternatives.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
For the tomato soup
100g cherry tomatoes, whole
300g ripe vine tomatoes, cut in half
2 shallots, peeled & roughly chopped
1 whole head of garlic*, sliced in half across the middle
5 basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
¼ cup double cream, plus a little extra for garnish
½ cup vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
For the cheesy croutons
Sourdough bread, 1-2 slices per person
Grated cheddar / mozzarella to taste
Small handful of parsley, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
* Roasted garlic
Don’t be alarmed by the amount of garlic in this recipe. Once it has been roasted, it will be soft and caramelised, with a much gentler, sweeter flavour than when raw or cooked by other methods.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place all tomatoes, shallots and garlic onto a large baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until the tomatoes have blistered and begin opening.
- Remove from oven. Squeeze out the garlic into a high-speed blender. Add the roasted tomatoes and shallots, the cream, balsamic vinegar, and basil leaves. Blend until smooth.
- Spread the bread slices on a baking sheet. Top with grated cheese of choice, a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Serve the soup hot along with the bread, ripped up to make bitesize croutons. Garnish with basil leaves and drizzle a little cream over the soup.
More vegan recipes: