Flavour of the Month: Easy as Pie – Brie & Red Onion Tart
Whether you prefer a pastry or potato topping, and fillings of mixed fish, tender meat, robust veggies or juicy fruit, a pie is always a winner!
Enjoy this very simple recipe for one of our favourite savoury puff pastry tarts (which is basically a topless pie). Brie and red onion make perfect partners, though you could use any variety of cheese and white onions if you prefer.
Brie & Red Onion Tart Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Delicious served hot or cold
3 large red onions (or 4 medium size)
200g puff pastry (ready rolled)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (check pastry packaging for details).
- Peel, then thickly slice the onions.
- In a pan, cook the onions slowly over a low heat in the butter until soft and lightly browned (roughly 30 minutes – slow cooking gives onions a delicious caramelised flavour).
- Add the spinach to the pan and leave until the spinach has wilted.
- Unroll the pastry onto some parchment paper on a shallow baking tray. Lightly score the border about 2cm inside the pastry.
- Spread out the onions and spinach up to the border you created. Then tear the brie into small pieces and dot around.
- Brush the border of the pastry with the butter from the onions.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
See more tasty pie recipes: