Flavour of the Month: Lockdown Lasagne
Our April flavour of the month is in celebration of National Vegetarian Week. We have prepared a veggie lockdown lasagne recipe. You can choose any vegetables for filling and this dish can be a great way to use all those leftover vegetables that you might have. Why not get creative with it and try out different vegetables to find your perfect combination?
Serves: 4 people
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking: 1 hour 10 mins
Equipment: Saucepans, hob, oven, baking trays, ovenproof serving dish
Spinach (3 large handfuls)
Lasagne sheets (1 pack)
Mozzarella (1 large)
You can buy a ready-made sauce or make your own
500ml whole milk
1 onion, halved
1 bay leaf
50g plain flour
(see BBC recipe)
2 Tinned tomatoes
Tomato puree (1tbsp)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Slice the aubergine into ½ cm thick slices. Dice the peppers.
- Toss peppers and aubergine in olive oil and place on baking tray. Season and put into the oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browning.
- Make the tomato sauce. Add tinned tomatoes, garlic and two tablespoons of tomato puree to a saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer for twenty minutes. Season.
- Dice carrots and cook on hob.
- Lightly oil the oven proof serving dish. One all components are ready, begin by placing a layer of aubergine at the bottom of the dish. Then add some carrots and pepper. Add 1/3 of the tomato sauce. Top with a layer of lasagne sheets then cover in layer of white sauce.
Repeat layer twice more. Add a few pieces of mozzarella on top.
- Bake lasagne in the oven for 45 minutes until golden brown.
Ensure the lasagne sheets are completely covered in sauce so they cook properly
Make double and save some for a 2nd meal in the week
Add Quorn for a meaty texture but to keep it veggie