Flavour of the Month: Chicken & Basil Mayo Open Sourdough Sandwich
For a quick and simple lunch or snack, try this delicious open sandwich: it’s a perfect combination of roast chicken and basil mayo on toasted sourdough. A great way to use up leftover chicken, and ready to eat in less than fifteen minutes.
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
1 cooked chicken breast*
Sourdough bread, sliced
Handful of cherry tomatoes
60g pancetta (or streaky bacon)
1 large handful fresh basil
3 tablespoons mayonnaise**
1-2 tablespoons yogurt** (depending on desired consistency)
½ teaspoon lazy garlic (if using fresh garlic, use 1 small clove)
- In a high-powered blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients for the basil mayonnaise and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Put the pancetta in a medium sized frying pan (do not add any oil – it doesn’t need it!) and fry over a medium heat until golden brown on both sides (a few minutes per side).
- Shred the cooked chicken breast (pull apart with two forks) and combine with half of the basil mayonnaise, leaving some for dipping or topping.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes and avocado and put aside for topping the sandwich.
- Toast your sourdough slices.
- Spoon a teaspoon of the basil mayonnaise over the toasted sourdough and top with the chicken, tomato, avocado and pancetta.
*We recommend buying a rotisserie chicken and using the breast for this recipe, setting the remainder aside for warming salads, pizza toppings or winter chicken soup!
**If you are sensitive to dairy, then the mayonnaise and yoghurt can both be substituted for dairy free options; we recommend soy yogurt.
More quick and easy meals: