Flavour of the Month – Summer Fruit Tart
This fruit tart is a stunning dessert, great for entertaining, yet so simple to make! You can use shop bought puff pastry for the base, add a simple vanilla mascarpone filling and top with your favourite seasonal fruits. (You could make individual tartlettes if you prefer).
Prep time: 25 mins (plus chilling/cooling time)
Cook time: 25 mins
Prepare ahead: The tart is best served on the day it is made. But the pastry base can be baked a day in advance and the vanilla mascarpone mixture can be prepared up to a week ahead.
Fruit Tart Recipe
1 sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry (approx. 350g)
1 egg, beaten
150g white chocolate, broken into pieces
120ml double cream
25g icing sugar
1 vanilla pod, seeds only
Seasonal fruits of your choice. We used:
1 punnet of medium strawberries, hulled and halved
1 punnet of raspberries
1 punnet of blackberries
1 punnet of blueberries
1 mango, chopped into even pieces
4 tbsp smooth jam (apricot or strawberry)
- Place your pastry sheet on a baking tray. Using the back of a knife, lightly score a 1cm border around the edge, making sure you don’t cut the pastry all the way through.
- Brush the border with the beaten egg. Prick the base (not the border) with a fork, so that it rises evenly. Chill the pastry for at least 20 minutes.TIP
Chilling pastry before baking helps to keep its shape and prevent it from shrinking.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 200ºC, fan 180ºC, gas 6.
- Bake the pastry for 20-25 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Let the tart cool completely. Then gently press down the centre of the pastry, to leave a frame around the edge.
- Melt the white chocolate over a pan of simmering water. Then drizzle and spread it over the pastry base. Leave to set. (The layer of chocolate prevents the cream filling from making the pastry go soggy).
- Make the cream filling: In a mixing bowl, whisk the double cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Beat the mascarpone, vanilla seeds and icing sugar until combined and smooth. Fold in the whipped cream. Spread the cream mixture over the tart.
- Arrange the fruit on the top of your tart however you like.
- Gently heat the jam and use a pastry brush to glaze the fruit.
More Summer Dessert Recipes