Flavour of the Month – September: Kale & Tahini Noodle Bowl
This month, in support of sustainability, we have discovered a new exciting brand… Bare Vida. Their aim is to help reduce single-use plastic. BareVida is an eco-friendly brand that creates beautiful transportable cutlery sets made from bamboo in Bali.
This inspired us to opt for a Malaysian inspired noodle dish, using our new bamboo chopsticks. We’ve added kimchi to our noodle bowl – which is packed full of seasonal ingredients (cabbage, garlic, ginger, spring onions, chilli ) – but, if you don’t like spice, leave it out and stick with lemon 🍋 .
What’s in Season in September?
Apples, Blackberries, Blueberries, Grapefruit, Lemons 🍋, Mandarins, Melon, Nectarines, Oranges, Pears, Plums, Raspberries, Rhubarb, Strawberries, Tomatoes,
Artichokes,, Aubergine,, Beetroot, Broccoli, Brussel sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celeriac, Celery, Chicory, Chillis, Courgettes, Cucumber, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Green beans, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Onions, Parsnips, Peas, Peppers, Potatoes, Pumpkin, Radishes, Rocket, Runner beans, Spinach, Spring Greens, Spring Onions, Squash, Sweetcorn, Swiss Chard, Turnips, Watercress, Wild Mushrooms.
Duck, Lamb, Rabbit, Venison
Crab, Haddock, Mackerel, Mussels, Pollock, Salmon, Sardines, Scallops, Tuna
Kale and Tahini Noodle Superfood Bowl
1 serving of brown rice noodles
2 large handfuls of whole leaf kale*
1 tbs of kimchi (optional)
Black sesame seeds for garnish
Seaweed salad (if available)
For the tahini sauce:
2 tsp of tahini (or peanut butter, if you prefer a satay sauce)
¼ lemon 🍋 squeezed
1 tsp of water
1 tsp of tamari (or soy sauce)
½ tsp of miso paste
½ tsp agave nectar
- Follow cooking instructions for the rice noodles.
- Whilst waiting for the noodles to cook, prepare the tahini sauce. Mix all of the ingredients into a bowl and stir with a fork. If you desire thinner sauce, add more water/lemon juice. Alternatively, if you prefer thicker sauce, you can add more tahini.
- Cook desired amount of edamame beans. Wait to cool.
- In a frying pan, sauté the kale on a low heat by adding some water over the top of the leaves (oil tends to make it go really crispy and burns quicker).
- Once noodles are cooked, remove from heat and drain. Rinse with cold water to stop the noodles from sticking together.
- In a saucepan, mix the noodles with the sauce on a low heat.
- Chop up some smoked tofu.
- Once the sauce is evenly distributed over the noodles, serve on a plate. Garnish the noodles with black sesame seeds.
- Add the cooked kale, smoked tofu, edamame beans and kimchi.
- Enjoy hot or cold, and (attempt to) eat with chopsticks! 🤣
*Always try and buy whole leaf kale and remove the stalk when preparing it, as this is what tastes very bitter. Supermarkets often sell chopped kale, which includes the stalk so it doesn’t taste as nice.
*If you want to add meat, chicken works well as a replacement for Tofu.