Flavour of the Month: Organic Apple & Blackberry Crumble
To mark British Food and Drink Fortnight and Organic September, our nutritionist and supercook Jess, has created a dessert that celebrates the best of both, with her take on organic apple and blackberry crumble – it’s simple and seriously scrumptious!
This month we are getting involved in Organic September which is a month-long campaign to raise awareness of the many benefits of organic food and farming practices. This is particularly significant, with 2020 bringing more challenges to our world than ever before, highlighting the importance of helping to restore nature, health and a safe climate.
As we head into the autumnal months, we wanted to create the perfect British dish for you to cosy up with on the sofa, or to be enjoyed with your friends and family at home! It’s a classic and will have everyone begging for the recipe. We enjoyed ours with the award-winning organic, plant-based ice cream from Booja-Booja, who are based in Norfolk.
The recipe below does not specify organic only ingredients as we know this is not accessible for all, but if you would like to take part, just search for the organic options when shopping for your groceries.
Apple & Blackberry Crumble Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 – 30 minutes
200g cooking apples
50g caster sugar
35g wholemeal flour
35g rolled oats
35g unsalted butter (dairy free butter works fine too)
20g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Peel and cut the apples into small chunks.
- Thoroughly wash the berries and put in a pan with the sugar, 1tbsp of water and simmer for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Layer the fruit in an ovenproof dish.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and oats. Chop the butter into small cubes and add to the oats and flour mixture. Mix with fingers until it becomes a crumble texture.
- Add the sugar, mix well and then cover the fruit with the crumble.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve with chopped up fruit, custard or ice cream flavour of your choice!
Make double the amount of crumble and store half in the freezer.
It can be used straight from the freezer – simply spread over your chosen fruit and bake.
If you enjoyed this, why not try our delicious plum and blackberry crumble!