Flavour of the Month – April: Crab & Crayfish Sauce
What’s in season in April?
Asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, celeriac, chives, onions, peppers, potatoes, purple sprouting broccoli, rocket, shallots, spinach, spring greens, spring onion, watercress
Banana, grapefruit, limes, papaya, pomegranate, rhubarb
Cod, crab 🦀, halibut, salmon, chicken, lamb, pork
A simple, versatile sauce that uses several seasonal ingredients. Pep up baked / grilled / pan fried fish or seafood, drizzle over roast tomatoes, or mix with spaghetti for a delicious pasta dish. Make it mild or spicy, however you like it!
We served ours with pan fried sea bream fillet, rice and asparagus.
Make extra and freeze it in small containers.
Crab & Crayfish Sauce
Timing: Prep 10 mins Cooking: 10 mins
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 spring onions, with about 5cm green, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon chopped parsley leaves
2 packs crabmeat
1 pack cooked peeled crayfish tails or prawns
50ml dry sherry/Noilly Prat
200g mascarpone/cream cheese
2-3 tablespoons milk (to loosen and get the right consistency)
1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun* seasoning (or more if you prefer it spicier)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in flour, onions, parsley and Cajun seasoning. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the sherry and crabmeat to the mixture; gradually add the mascarpone (or cream cheese), stirring constantly. Add tomato paste. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Add milk if necessary so you get the required consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper, if necessary.
(Based on The Spruce recipe for Sherried Crab Sauce)
* Cajun Spice Mix – (to make your own)
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder (or add crushed fresh garlic just before use)
2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
Stir all the ingredients until evenly blended. Store in an airtight container.
Please log in or sign up to comment