Flavour of the Month – August: Simple Summer BBQ Sides
This month we wanted to give you a recipe that is easily transportable and requires minimal and uncomplicated ingredients, as we know that lots of people tend to go abroad during this time.
So we’ve created two simple summer BBQ sides – refreshing, adaptable, and ideal for the hot summery season.
What’s in season in August?
Apricots, Blackberries, Blueberries, Cherries, Nectarines, Peaches, Redcurrants, Raspberries, Strawberries, Tomatoes, Watermelon 🍉
Asparagus, Aubergine, Beetroot, Broad Beans, Green Beans, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chard, Chicory, Courgettes, Cucumber, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Onions, Peas, Potatoes, Rocket, Spinach, Sweetcorn
Brill, Crab, Lobster, Mackerel, Scallops, Turbot
Wholegrain Mustard Potatoes
This recipe can be paired with any meat, and alongside a nice summery salad.
Olive oil/butter (whichever you prefer)
Salt & pepper
- Boil the new potatoes until very soft.
- Drain them and whilst still hot, mix with a dash of olive oil (or knob of butter), a squeeze of lemon and a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients together and enjoy hot, or allow to cool and serve cold.
Watermelon Fruit Salad 🍉
It is hard to enjoy sweet things in the heat without feeling really lethargic afterwards, which is why this recipe is great for the sunshine, as it is sweet but refreshing and hydrating. It can be enjoyed as a dessert, or simply sprinkle in some feta cheese and turn it into a BBQ side dish as a salad.
1 large watermelon
1 passion fruit
Handful of mint leaves
- Remove the skin and cut up the watermelon into large chunks.
- Squeeze the juice of the lime over the top.
- Cut and squeeze a passion fruit over the top.
- Decorate with torn mint leaves
For added flavour, infuse the dish overnight with lime slices and mint leaves. Remove from the dish before serving