Help with Tax

Here’s a consolidated list of useful contacts, online resources and tax tools to help with tax issues, including PAYE and Self Assessment. There’s also a helpful jargon buster for tax terms!

Where to get Help with Tax Issues

Always seek help and advice relevant to your own tax situation, from HMRC or a professional adviser.
This list includes free resources as well as fee-charging professionals.

HMRC helplines & online resources

Problems paying your tax bill?

PAYE (Pay As You Earn)

Self Assessment

Other Resources & Contacts

Tax Tools


HMRC Helplines

 Help with tax purple pig

General tax enquiries:  0300 200 3300
Get help with your PAYE tax code, overpayments/underpayments
Self Assessment: 0300 200 3310
Newly Self-Employed: 0300 200 3504
National Insurance contributions enquiries: 0300 200 3500

HMRC Online Resources

Personal Tax Account – set up or sign in
Manage your tax affairs online: check your tax information & manage your details with HMRC
Tell HMRC about a change to personal details
Change of name, address, income, relationship, family, gender
How to claim a tax refund
If you disagree with a tax decision – contact HMRC
e.g. a tax bill or penalty
Check your National Insurance record
Check if there are gaps in contributions, which may affect your eligibility for benefits or pension; how to make voluntary contributions
Get help with tax – GOV.UK 

Problems paying your tax bill?

Business Payment Support Service: 0300 200 3835
Contact HMRC if you can’t pay your tax bill on time – you may avoid penalties
(Helpline is for individuals or businesses)

Self Assessment Payment Helpline: 0300 200 3822
Call HMRC if you have missed your payment date
What to do if you can’t pay your tax on time – GOV.UK

PAYE (Pay As You Earn)

If you are employed and pay tax via PAYE, first talk to your employer (Payroll Department), who should be able to help with problems relating to your tax code or PAYE.
HMRC general tax enquiries
Or call HMRC helpline:   0300 200 3300
Get help with your PAYE tax code, overpayments/underpayments
How to check your tax code & tell HMRC if it is wrong
If necessary, your tax code will be adjusted so you get the appropriate allowance & pay the correct tax over the year
Tax overpayments & underpayments
How to check your HMRC tax calculation & get a refund or pay tax you owe

Self Assessment

If you use the Self Assessment system and your tax affairs are complex, you might need an accountant to do your tax return or give you specific advice.
For most general enquiries, visit HMRC Self Assessment Help
Or call the Self Assessment helpline  0300 200 3310
Help & support for Self Assessment: videos & webinars- GOV.UK

Specific Self Assessment topics:

Check whether you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return
Register for Self Assessment if you are self-employed
Register for Self Assessment if you are not self-employed
Self-Assessment Tax Returns
What constitutes self-employment (for tax purposes)

Other Useful Resources & Contacts

Help with tax problems – Citizens Advice
Sources of help & advice for all parts of the UK, including HMRC, tax charities, other useful sites & fee-charging advisers
Find a Tax Adviser – Citizens Advice
If your tax affairs are complex and you can afford to pay for advice, you could search these professional bodies who will help you find a local specialist tax adviser
TaxAid Charity
Advice for people on low incomes, whose problems cannot be resolved by HMRC
Tax Guides  – Low Incomes Tax Reform Group
Tax Guides for Students – Low Incomes Tax Reform Group
Income Tax – GOV.UK
The full details!

Tax Tools

Income Tax Calculator – Money Saving Expert
Simple tool to estimate your Income Tax bill, National Insurance, pension contributions & Student Loan repayments (If you have a Student Loan, check ‘Advanced Options’). It gives a guide to how much you will owe and your remaining take-home pay.
Tax Checker Tools – HMRC
Estimate how much tax you should pay for the current tax year or previous years
Self-employed Ready Reckoner Tool – HMRC
Estimate your Tax and National Insurance bill
Work out a monthly amount to set aside for tax payments
Help with tax - orange pig

Tax Terms Jargon Buster



Introduction to the UK Tax System right arrow